People » Carl Laemmle
- Carl Laemmle
Emigrated from Germany in 1884, and worked in a variety of clerical and bookkeeping jobs before moving to Chicago in 1906 and opening a storefront theatre. In 1907 he established an exchange and began developing a national exchange chain, the Laemmle Film Service. In 1909 he established an independent production company, and began a long legal battle with the Motion Picture Patents Company. In May, 1912 he formed the Universal Film Manufacturing Company, later buying out his partners and opening the Universal City studio complex in the San Fernando Valley in 1915. During the 1920s Universal produced and distributed primarily to independent exhibitors. In 1935 Laemmle was forced to sell Universal, and resigned as its president in March 1936.
- NAMPI "National Association of the Motion Picture Industry 1921-1922". This lists members in all divisions: Executives,...
- Report on the promotion of screen-writing through a college contest sponsored by Universal.Laemmle screenwriting contest...
- Ethel Dorrance Smith sold rights to her novel Damned to Universal when Hays was promising that "the prevalent kind of bo...
- The Talking Pictures." Principles and methods of sound recording.
- 20 August 1932 report : "I want you to know that as always, I an very happy to give you whatever support I may have in c...
- Reaffirmation correspondence received and agreed with.
- Proposes making a silent and sound version of Broadway, to gauge public reaction, as an experiment